“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”
It’s time to put pen to paper and show off your poetry skills to win £50 vouchers: our competition to be a ‘bus balladeer’ is now officially open!
Travelling has inspired some of the great poets throughout history. From W H Auden’s The Night Mail to Byron’s romantic journeys, transport in all its forms has been well and truly represented in verse.
And we’re hoping that it will inspire you to pick up a pen, or a quill if that’s what takes your fancy, and get poetic. Ahead of World Poetry Day on the 21st March, and to celebrate the launch of our new Idea: Be a Bus Balladeer, we are offering you the chance to win £50 Waterstones vouchers.
Taking part is easy:
- Read the Ts and Cs below
- Compose a 50 word poem(max. 50 words – and there’s no need for it to rhyme!)
- Submit your poem:
- On Facebook: Post or comment on our page or send us a message
- By Email: email@example.com
- By Post: Ideas in Motion, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS2 6ER
- On Twitter: Use the #IiMPoetry (and remember to number your tweets if your poem is too long for just one)
- 1st March: Competition open for entries
- 14th March: Competition closes at 23.59
- 21st March: Winner announced on website and contacted through application method
Terms and Conditions for Bus Balladeer poetry competition
- Entrants must be a current resident of Southend-on-Sea and, if asked, able to provide valid proof of Southend address, for instance a household gas, electric, water or fixed line telephone bill; council tax bill, bank, building society or credit card statement; HM Revenue & Customs (Inland Revenue) tax document containing full name and current address; or (for under 18s living at home or in full time education) a letter signed by both a parent/carer or teacher confirming you are a Southend resident.
- Entrants must be aged 13 or over and may be asked to provide proof of age.
- The poems must contain no swear words or content considered inappropriate for public use by Ideas in Motion (Southend-on-Sea Borough Council). Any entries the Ideas in Motion team consider to breach this rule will be removed from public view.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Twitter or Facebook. You are providing your information to Ideas in Motion and not to Twitter or Facebook. By participating in this promotion you agree to a complete release of Twitter or Facebook from any claims. Participation in this promotion is subject to the official rules.
- Prizes are limited to £50 in value.
- There is no cash alternative or substitution for the prize.
- Only one entry per user will be accepted.
- The winner will be informed via their method of entry on the day of the 21st March, and their name announced on the Ideas in Motion website and social media channels. The winner must make contact with Ideas in Motion within 7 days of the announcement otherwise the prize will be reallocated.
- The prize must be claimed, i.e. recouped from Ideas in Motion, within three months of the announcement of the winner.
- By entering the competition, users are agreeing to participate in reasonable publicity, including allowing their name, details and poems to be used for Ideas in Motion and Southend-on-Sea Borough Council promotional and marketing purposes online, on social media and elsewhere.
- We reserve the right at all times to vary, change, alter, amend, add to or remove any of these terms and you agree to abide by the most recent version of the terms and conditions.